Last modified: August 19, 2019
Special Education Services Referral Information
- If you live in Provo and have concerns about your child’s development, you may refer your child to Provo City School District for free evaluation for Special Education services.
- For early childhood services (ages 3-5), evaluation is done through Sunrise Preschool located at 87 N. 700 E. Provo, UT 84606. If your child is younger than 3, contact the Provo Early Intervention Program (PEIP) at (801) 852-4525. If your child is Kindergarten age or older, contact your neighborhood school.
- To initiate the referral process, parent(s) or legal guardian(s) will need to fill out the Provo City School District Child and Family Background Information form available on the school website or at the preschool.
- After the form is completed and submitted to the preschool, testing will be scheduled. Testing takes place on Fridays at 8:30 am and 10:30 am.
Assessment and Eligibility for Special Education Programs
- For testing we ask that, if possible, you make arrangements to come without other children.
- Assessments generally take 1 ½ to 2 hours to complete and may include: Motor, Adaptive/Self-Help, Social/Emotional, Cognitive, Sensory, Behavior, and Language/Articulation areas, depending on areas of concern.
- When testing is completed, time will be given to gather additional information about your child. If more information is needed, we may invite your child to come into one of our preschool classrooms to observe how the areas of concern impact your child’s education.
- When the team has all of the information needed to determine eligibility (within 45 school days), a Special Education teacher will contact you to set up an Eligibility Meeting to review evaluation results. During this meeting, your child’s eligibility for Special Education will be determined. This is done based on eligibility criteria for one of 13 Special Education classifications listed below.
- Developmental Delay
- Emotional Disturbance
- Hearing Impairment/Deafness
- Intellectual Disability
- Multiple Disabilities
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Other Health Impairment
- Specific Learning Disabilities
- Speech Language Impairment
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Visual Impairment
Your child must have a disability that adversely impacts his/her education AND he/she must require specialized instruction to qualify for Special Education services.
If your child requires Special Education services, an Individual Education Program (IEP) will be developed as a team within 30 calendar days of the eligibility meeting. Services will begin after the IEP has been created and your child has been registered through Provo City School District.
Special Education Program Details
Special Education services follow the Provo City School District calendar, August through May.
- Extended School Year (ESY) services are provided during the summer for students who have difficulty maintaining what they have learned. The decision for ESY is based on IEP data.
- If a child requires language, articulation, or other related services only, he/she may be placed at the neighborhood school for services. Other possible placements for services include Head Start, Title 1 Preschool (the year before Kindergarten), and Sunrise Preschool. Placement decision is based on student need and team decision.
- Sunrise Preschool has a range of placement options in different classes. Class sessions are 2 – 2 ½ hours, AM or PM, 1-4 days a week depending on student need.